Tuesday, August 28, 2012

And were off...School year 2012/2013

Alana and Alex, First day of school, August 16th, 2012

We have officially started the 2012/2013 school year.  Both Alex and Alana seem pretty excited about starting back at school.  

Alex started a new school this year.  We had never felt that he or Alana were really challenged at their old school so we finally were given the opportunity to get him in to the new one and we took it.

He was scheduled to be in a 4th grade class, then I receive a call from the principle a day later letting me know that Alex was going to be moved into a 3rd/4th grade combo class.  No red flags were drawn up at that time, however he continued to inform me of what the other changes were.  He stated that Alex would go to recess with all the 1st, 2nd and 3rd graders.  Err...pump the breaks my good friend.  So you are telling me that my son who is new to this school, only knows a few kids in 4th grade (none of which are in his combo class) and you are going to now put him in a class with kids younger than him and have him interact throughout the entire day with kids a year younger than him?  I asked how they came to choose which children were going to be moved.  He stated at first that they hand selected the children that show they can work independently.  That is fine, but I fail to see how he could establish this knowledge of my son after only having him for a few hours the day before.  Then he continued to state that because our enrollment date was one of the last they allowed in the school they used that date to choose who was going to be moved.  Two completely different methods of choosing.  Alex is a very good independent worker so he could have almost sold me on that, but the last to enroll rubbed me the wrong way.  I told him we enrolled back in November of 2011 so I failed to see how we were the last to enroll.  He stated that that is not the date he had in front of him.  Me being the person I am went with the punches and didn't really fight it too much, but my inner-mother like-diva wanted to pull him through the phone demanding exact dates and answers.  

After all of this, which after reading it seems pretty trivial, I asked Alex what he thought about it and he tells me that he is fine with whatever.  Ugh, I wish I had that nonchalant attitude too.  He has been doing great and loves his new teacher.  We will see what this year has in store for us at this new school.

Alana on the other hand started the 7th grade at the same school she was at for 6th.  She absolutely loves her teachers.  Her only issue she had with her schedule is that she did not have lunch with any of her friends.  They all have 1st lunch and she has 2nd.  I told her this gave her ample time to go to study hall during lunch and get her school work done, that didn't go over too well with her.  Needless to say, I can officially say that after 2 weeks of school she has straight A's and she is working her butt off to continue it.

We are so proud of our little demons.  They have a full sports schedules and continue to get their homework completed while being successful at their sport.  Gotta love my kiddies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!